Monday, December 4, 2017

dermographic urticaria

In April of this year, we started to notice small and big welt-like marks that would randomly appear all over Finn's body. 

His legs, arms, head, face, neck, hands, and everything in between was affected. It was really stressful because I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was causing it. 
The "marks" were so random and there was no rhyme or reason to them.
They looked painful and possibly bothersome, but Finn paid ZERO attention to them.
The strangest part of all was that these marks would show up and completely disappear within an hour. We could not explain it!
He would barely rub up against something and a giant welt-like histamine would appear. 
We were at the park one day and Finn barely brushed up his face against the plastic on the slide. His cheek instantly went red and a literal huge bump appeared within seconds. It looked like he had been slugged! A mom came up to me and asked what happened to his face. 
I was mortified. Like what was running through her mind!?
I had to block it out.
I had had it and knew I needed to take Finn in to his pediatrician. 
I was more than ready for some answers.
Looking back, I feel a bit sheepish about how upset I was, at the time. 

Our doctor instantly knew what was causing these marks. He said it was a skin condition called: Dermographic Urticaria.  Also referred to as "skin writing" condition. 
He showed us exactly what was going on by barely drawing on Finn's arm with a the top of a pen. 
Finn just watched him and didn't bat an eye. It was just the slightest touch. His doctor then said, "You watch, in a couple minutes, where I touched his skin, a histamine with form on his skin and become red." 
He was right!
It looked like someone carved tick tack toe into Finn's arm!

Basically, he has super sensitive skin. It comes and goes in waves. 
Sometimes it is more frequent and at other times, I barely notice any marks at all!
We have medicine to give Finn when it flares up. But have hardly had to even use it. 

Unfortunately, he is more prone to allergies and possibly asthma. But so far, so good! 
I am grateful that we have answers and it could be WAY worse!

Here are just a few examples of these so called areas!
This is for my documenting purposes. 
I wanted some pics to show the doctor as these would be gone within the hour!




Almost 8 months later, and I almost never see these marks anymore! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment